Important Links!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

I give food a try!

I made applesauce today! I guess I should say that this was "inspired" from Barefoot Contessa's recipe...sorry, can't for the life of me find it. Anyhow, I've made it a dozen times or so, and change it every time...Oh, and of course, no measurements again...I just throw things in, LOL!

Of course, the apples at the store were the pits...so I had to choose 3 different kinds-Granny Smith, Fuji, and Red Delicious. I think maybe 10 lbs. or so? Maybe 8 lbs.

apples
and washed them...

apples3
(dramatic lighting anyone?)


Anyhow, then I peel and core and slice them up and put them in my huge oval crock pot. (Ina Garten uses a dutch oven, but I don't). I throw in some brown sugar (probably 3/4 cup or so), butter (one stick), allspice (a few dashes), cinnamon (NEVER skimp on this--I put quite a few dashes on top), and finally zest and juice* of a lemon and orange. I am proud to say that these grew in my yard and I picked them with this recipe in mind...yay me!




lemon1

Ready for another action shot??

zest2

And then I let the crock pot do all the work until the apples are moist enough that I can mash them up with a potato masher...and that's it--yummy applesauce!

applesauce2

applesauce

It's really good :).

*I only squeeze 1/2 of each lemon and orange into the pot. I don't like a super strong citrus taste in my applesauce...but that's just me!

No, I'm not turning this blog into a food blog...my passion lies elsewhere, but my good friend Karen said I should give it a try...so this is for her!

2 comments:

Karen February 22, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

I love that first one of the apples in the bowl! And I'm going to try apple sauce in the crockpot, great idea!
http://www.dobetter.wordpress.com

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP